Friday, January 16, 2015

Backgrounds and Overlays


Hi, It's Natasha here with another in my new series of creative idea posts. Today I am looking at backgrounds and overlays. I've been having fun creating my layouts with the following brilliant kits from Lynne Anzelc Designs:
I wanted to see how changing the background would change the look of one layout. First I added paper from By the Morning Light. I choose one that was fairly plain in pale blue. Next a border overlay from Nature Overlays, adding the same border twice in order to give it a stronger presence. Changing the border from black to white also gives a different look too. Around the edge I added a number of overlays from Supplemental, setting the transparency to 50% for all; and the birds from the same kit took centre stage, no transparency set. Finally I finished off with a number of elements from By the Morning Light and inspiration word art brushes from By the Morning Light WordArt and Brushes.


Instead of black I felt that white would look good for the border and word art brushes so I changed all of these.

With the top layers of my page ready it was time to experiment with the background. First using a difference blend, blending a lilac checkered paper into the blue background paper. This darker background really set off the white of the border and brushes.

Another blend, this time using a textured purple paper and the multiply blend mode with the original blue paper.

And finally changing the blue background paper for a purple/brown mottled paper.

One layout and lots of looks from just a simple background change. The papers used to create the pages are shown below and are all from By the Morning Light.

Have you had fun with background papers? Why not share in the comments links to any layouts that you have made partly or fully with Lynne's kits. We would love to see them :)

Enjoy scrapping and I'll be back soon with another creative ideas post, Natasha.

2 comments: