Friday, January 8, 2016

How to Create a Simple Scene

by Gina

Software used: Photoshop

When I look at a page with a sky, I see shadows. But in reality there are no shadows at the sky.
 So how to get more depth? I will show you a simple way.

Open your paper in your usual way. I added a scene paper from Wood Sprites and changed the size – so it matches perfectly with my paper. But there is a hard edge on the right side.

On this layer add a Layer Mask by clicking on the little icon at the bottom of your layer palette.  
(put your curser over the buttons and the name will appear...this one is a black square with a white hole in it)

In your tool bar select your Gradient Tool. Make sure that you have the black/white gradient.
Mode: normal, opacity: 100%.
On your scene paper drag from the edge to the left side - nearly 20%.

Does not look very good and it does not match perfectly with your background. 


So, on your scene paper, change the Blend Mode to Multiply

Add a new blank layer and merge this with your scene layer.

For this layout I added a tree.


Change your Blend Mode to Soft Light. Now add a Drop Shadow. Blend Mode: Multiply. 
Select a color from the sky. Set the opacity to 35%. Angle: 90°, Distance: 0, Overfill: 0, Size: 90
You will have something like this:


Looks not very good. Select the tree and then make sure that you are on the scene layer in your layer palette. 
With the Eraser Tool erase the parts of the scene layer so the tree is completely visible.

Add now a balloon or a bird. Use the same drop shadow like before.
Add other elements in your usual way.

For this layout I added a word frame. But it looks very strong. 

Change the Blend Mode to Overlay – you will see it matches perfect with the colors of layout.

Finish your layout by adding an overlay. 

I don't like the hard touch of black here.
So I changed the Blend Mode also to Overlay and add a Drop Shadow – settings like before.
I only changed the color to a dark grey.

That's it! Have fun!

12 comments:

  1. Wonderful page and tutorial, thank you Gina :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you very much for this. I will study and practise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you so much and looking forward to your page

      Delete
  3. Super useful tutorial!, thanks for sharing! Ann

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful tutoriel Gina. I didn't know you were créatine tutos. I'll try it.
    Kisses

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Francine. Waiting for your page :-)

      Delete
  5. Wow and Wow, just what I was looking for to be able to accomplish, your things are beautiful and thanks so much for all the great info.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'll have to adapt this to Craft Artist, but it's a great tutorial. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete